It happens to the best of us: Sometimes it seems like our lives don’t matter. Whether you are in the depths of depression or have survived an assault on who you are, or even if you are just having a really bad day, sometimes it seems like, “My life doesn’t matter.” However: That thought is wrong. Your life does matter.
A spiritual truth: If you are alive, your life matters. Here are 50 reasons why:
48. You have a contribution to make to the world, even if you’re not sure what it is.
47. You were chosen to be born and to live in this world.
46. The small things you do have a bigger positive effect than you know.
45. You have said and will say again kind words that made somebody’s day.
44. You might save someone’s life one day.
43. You might have already saved someone’s life without even knowing it.
42. You have many things to accomplish.
41. You’d be missed by others if you weren’t around, even if you don’t think so.
40. There are things you’ve learned that you need to teach.
39. Nobody can look out at life with exactly the same eyes as you do.
38. You have the ability to choose, and that is a gift.
37. You can rectify mistakes by approaching the same situations in better ways in the future.
36. You can inspire someone who feels broken.
35. You can experience the satisfaction of doing something difficult.
34. The soul that lives in your body is yours and only yours, and was put in your body for a reason.
33. Your body is a channel for your soul.
32. Your potential for growth is unlimited.
31. People might have told you that you are worthless, but they are wrong.
29. Every night is an opportunity to take stock of the day and plan for a better tomorrow.
28. Your cells are constantly regenerating, which means that at the cellular level you are always changing and progressing.
27. Everything you see in the world has a lesson to teach you.
26. Every day that you are alive you are acquiring experience and knowledge.
24. You have the ability to use your resources to produce more than is given to you.
23. You can set an example of gracious conduct.
22. The soul inside you never grows weary; it allows you to continue on even when you are physically and emotionally tired.
21. The real you is the inner you, and when you are living with the real you, your life takes on greater meaning.
20. Every year on your birthday, the special energy invested in you at birth is present.
19. Pain you experience can be transformed into growth.
18. Ambition and creativity are lifelong journeys, so your life matters regardless of your age.
17. Every stage of life has its inherent strengths. The stage of life you are in right now is meaningful even if it feels like a slump.
16. You are a partner in the creation of the world. You co-create reality with the Universe.
14. The good things you do today have perpetual effects.
12. There is a part of you that has never been wounded — and can never be wounded.
11. Some of the little things you do in life are more important than the big things.
10. The journey of your life is more important than your material accomplishments.
9. You might not think you are a leader, but everyone has the ability to influence another person positively.
8. You are a link in a long historical chain.
7. You can recognize the extraordinary within the ordinary.
6. Your life is a miracle, an actual miracle.
5. You are inherently good. Your inner self is inherently good. Every person has an inherently beautiful inner self.
4. Your life matters because you yearn for something better.
3. Your life matters because you care enough to regret your mistakes.
2. Regardless of how lonely you feel, you are never alone.
1. Your life matters because birth is God saying, “You matter.”
Exercise: List more reasons why your life matters! Record your answer in MyMLC.